About the F/V Dark Horse
The Dark Horse is a brand new state-of-the-art fishing machine launched in September 2018. She was constructed at HnH Marine in Stueben Maine, over a period of 2 years.
She was constructed off of the standard Osmond Beal 42’ hull, which was widened by 2.5’ and raised by adding 6” of sheer, to provide a large stable sea worth platform. She is constructed entirely of composite materials, making her extremely rugged, light weight, and fuel efficient. The Dark Horse was designed from Stem to Stern for Fishability. The Dark Horse was designed to have the combination of the maximum size and sea kindly handling while still remaining fuel efficient and economical to operate for our commercial fishing operations .
- Length 42’ Breadth 17’8”
- Top of the line Simrad navigation equipment, radar, and auto pilot.
- With over 25’ of deck space and 17’ of beam the DarkHorse has one of the largest cockpits of any boat in the fleet.
- Power: Clean efficient John Deere 6135SMF 13.5L 750 HP Inboard diesel producing cruising speeds of 17 knots.
- 9kw Northern light generator.
- Highlights include large In deck fish hold, freezer, picnic table, 178 gallon live-well, and over 25 rod holders.
- Inside our large roomy cabin is a full sized wrap around bench that doubles as a day bunk, satellite TV, AM-FM stereo, stove, barbecue, fully enclosed head, stand up shower with hot/cold freshwater, 4 full sized bunks, 12v/110v systems
- Fully equipped with commercial rated safety equipment including life raft, EPIRB, Survival suits, and more.
- The Dark Horse will get you to the fishing grounds in comfort, safety, and style.
George French and Will French
George and Will French are brothers and co-owners of the Dark Horse. They began fishing by the time they could walk and have pursued that passion throughout their lives. They have been saltwater fishing the waters in and around Ipswich bay since childhood, and have owned 3 boats prior to the Dark Horse. Most recently owning the Betsy G a 37’ Repco lobster boat which they commercially fished for Tuna for the last 7 years. Together they have caught many giant Bluefin Tuna.
Will is a also a turbine mechanic/hydro operator by trade and keeps all the mechanical systems in top working condition, and is know for his ability to fix absolutely anything, George is a USCG Certified captain, a skilled operator, and fishermen; the combination makes the Dark Horse a winning team and will provide for the ultimate fishing experience.